Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips for searching
Type keywords in the search field to find books that you are looking for.
If you get too many results, try using the Refine my Results bar on the left to receive more accurate results.
If you cannot find the book that you need from one of our libraries, try searching libraries statewide through UBorrow. Once you perform a search, there will be a link in the upper right hand corner.
E-books are books that have been downloaded into the library catalog for increased access. They contain all of the content of a regular book. E-books contain many useful features that make them easier to use than print books. Such as:
- You can access them whenever you want, whether or not the library is open.
- While your session may expire with an e-book, you can always renew it.
- Many e-books have a table of contents which allows you to jump to whatever chapter you are interested.
- E-books have a search bar which allows you to search a word, phrase, or a few words. The search will give you every time the word has been used in the book and will take you directly to those pages.
To learn how to download ebooks onto your computer or tablet see our research guide on the topic here.
Finding Music Books at PHSC
The Library's Books are shelved according to the Library of Congress' classification system.
Want to browse the shelves?
The Library of Congress classification for Music is Subclass M
M 1-5000 Music
- 1-1.A15 Music printed in manuscript in the US or colonies before 1860
- 3-3.3 Collected wotks of individual composers
- 5-1480 Instrumental Music
- 176 Motion picture music
- 176.5 Radio and television music
- 1000-1075 Orchestra
- 1200-1270 Band
- 1350-1270 Other ensembles
- 1470-1480 Aleatory music, Electric music & Mixed media
- 1490 Music printed manuscript before 1700
- 1495-2199 Vocal music
- 1530-1609 Choruses
- 1627-1853 Folk, National, & Ethnic music
- 1999-2199 Sacred vocal music
- 2020-2101.5 Choruses
- 2115-2146 Hymnals & Hymn collections
- 2198-2199 Popular religious & Devotional music
- 5000 Unidentified compositions
ML 1-3930 Literature on Music
- 47-54.8 Librettos, Texts, & Scenarios
- 110-111.5 Music librarianship
- 112-112.5 Music printing & publishing
- 430-458 Composition & Performance
- 459-1380 Instruments & Instrumental music
- 1400-3275 Vocal music
- 3400-3465 Dance music
- 3469-3541 Popular music
- 3544-3766 Folk, National & Ethnic music
- 3790-3792 Music trade
- 3795 Music as a profession & Vocational guidance
- 3797-3799.5 Musical research
- 3800-3923 Philosophical, Physiological, & Societal aspects of music
- 3805-3817 Physics & Acoustics
- 3845-3877 Aesthetics
- 3880-3915 Criticism
- 3916-3918 Social & Political aspects of music
- 3919-3920 Moral influence & Therapeutic use of music
- 3921-3921.8 Religious aspects of music
MT 1-960 Instruction & Study of music
- 3-5 History
- 5.5-7 Music theory
- 18 Music in colleges & Universities
- 40-67 Composition & Elements & Techniques of music
- 68 Improvisation, Accompaniment, & Transposition
- 70-74 Instrumentation & Orchestration
- 75 Interpretation
- 80 Embellishment
- 82 Memorizing
- 85 Conducting, Score reading & Playing
- 87 Community music
- 90-146 Analysis & Appreciation of musical works
- 165 Tuning
- 170-810 Instrumental techniques
- 179-258 Keyboard instruments
- 259-338 Stringed & Bow stringed instruments
- 339-533 Wind instruments
- 539-654 Plucked instruments
- 655-725 Percussion & other instruments
- 728-735 Ensembles
- 737 Motion picture accompanying
- 820-915 Singing & Vocal technique
- 955-956 Musical theater
- 960 Music in the theater
Reading Library of Congress Call Numbers
Reading LC Call Numbers
- N - describes the subject area: read in alphabetical order
- 66 - describes the topic:read as a whole number
- B634- describes the author's last name or title of work: read in alphabetical order, then the number as a decimal
- 1999 - date of publication:read in chronological order