Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
General Information about Downloading ebooks
An ebook is very similar to a physical book, the pages of a physical book have been digitized for easy use. All of the content is the same as a physical book.
PHSC has two main ebook Databases Ebook Collection (EBSCO) and Ebook Central (Proquest). These databases have a feature that allows you to check out ebooks and download them for a preset period of time onto your device.
Some key information about downloading ebooks:
- Works with desktop computers, Nooks, and other Sony e-readers/tablets.
- Does NOT work on Amazon Kindle or Fire.
- EBSCO does support eBook downloads for:
1. iOS mobile devices (iPhone, iPod Touch) on Mobile site
2. Android mobile devices (phones) on Mobile site
3. Desktop users on Mobile site
They do not support:
1. Tablet users on Mobile or Full site
2. Mobile devices on Full site
If you have a tablet or mobile device and use the full site, the download may not function properly.
- Ebook Central allows you to download onto computers, tablets and phones.
- You can check out books from 1-21 days
- You do not need to return the book - the link to that item will not work after the book is due
- You will need to download Adobe Digital Editions onto a desktop or laptop that you intend to use - this program is free. Please see tab for downloading software.
- If you are using an ipad, iphone, ipod, android tablet or android phone you will need to download the Bluefire Reader App and get an Adobe ID - these programs are free.
Steps to downloading an ebook
Here are the steps you will need to go through in order to download ebooks onto your device.
- You will need to sign into your PHSC library account.
- You will need to create an account with the databases Ebook Collection (EBSCO) or Ebook Central. If you want to check out books from both databases you will need to create an account with both of the databases.
- You will need to download the program Adobe Digital Editions (if using a desktop or laptop) including creating an Adobe ID. This is a free program. You only need to create the Adobe ID if you are using a Nook, Ipad or Android device.
- You may need to download an additional App on your device (this depends on the database that you are using).
- You can then go into the databases and download your ebook.
Logging into LINCCweb
In order to download ebooks you will need to be logged into your PHSC library account. This will give you access to all PHSC library resources. There are two ways to log into LINCC web.
- Sign into your Canvas account and click into one of your courses
- On the left side of the screen where Canvas gives you tabs to select portions of your course (Modules, Assignments etc.) at the bottom of this list you will see a button for Electronic Library Resources.
- Follow this link and it will log you directly into the databases for LINCC web. Scroll down to Ebook Collection EBSCO or Ebook Central (ProQuest) and click on one of them to go into the database.